On the Cutting Table

blue plaid rose parfait

A new dress in the works. Parfait, again.

Because of all of this Me-Made-June insanity around here I’ve come to realize that I need a lot more dresses in my wardrobe. 5 is not enough. And more often than not, I find myself wanting to wear my Parfait dresses over and over and over again. This clearly means that I need a LOT more Parfait dresses. So, I’m beginning another one!

blue plaid with roses close up

fabric close up. There are little tiny roses in pink and purple.

I got this fabric for about $1 at an estate sale earlier this year. I think it’s cotton, or a cotton-poly blend. It’s the strangest print to my eyes. It’s sort of a plaid look from far away, but up close there are roses! Strange! But I love it anyways. It’s 36″ wide and there is 3 yards of it. I should just be able to squeeze a Parfait out of this.

thread and buttons

green thread and blue buttons

Because I’m insane, and because I’m trying to use only items in my stash I’m going to use green thread I bought too much of who knows when and these blue buttons. The blue buttons came from my vintage White treadle machine, there was a whole drawer full of vintage buttons in the case when I bought it. About half of the buttons are awesome, the other half are either disintegrated or just plain ugly. These are still on their original card. The bottom of the card says something along the lines of “guaranteed to be authentic and for the latest styles and patterns.” Yes, just the assurance I needed! I need to find a zipper next.

As I’ve made 2 Parfaits before, I’m pretty sure that this dress will be fast. I already know what alterations to make (have made most of them on the pattern already). And this time I’m totally sewing down the straps instead of securing them with the buttons. The buttons will just be decorative on the straps. The only problem I have with my other 2 parfaits is that the straps fall down. That and the first one the facings always want to flip out, so I fixed that by just cutting 2 of the bodice and lining the bodice instead of facing it. I’m hoping I can have this done by the end of the week. (crosses fingers)

WIP: Palm Beach Tunic

Last summer I made a swimsuit. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

This summer I have decided to make a swimsuit cover-up:

PBT

from the Built by Wendy: Dresses book

This is the pattern I’ve decided on. I think it’ll be a perfect swimsuit cover-up. So yesterday I traced out the pattern and began with the specified alterations. Once I was done with that I cringed and cut into this fabric:

bwg

blue and white gauzy fabric

I picked this up at the ARC one Saturday for about $1.50. I shouldn’t be scared to cut into it, but I can’t help it. I always cringe when cutting into fabric for the first time. This fabric is so sheer. Majorly sheer. So I figured instead of trying to fight that and make a garment that you can’t see through out of fabric you can see through I’d just go with it. Who cares if y0u can see through your swimsuit cover-up. Not me.

Palm Beach Tunic WIP

no sleeves yet

The contrast fabric is from a 100% cotton white sheet I got from the ARC for $1. So far this cover-up has cost me about $1.60. I barely used any of the sheet.

You can see how sheer the fabric is by looking at the hanger under the shoulders.

I’m using all french seams on this garment, they are usually the best for sheer fabrics.

I may also add a belt since this doesn’t have much shape.